NEXPLANON in Rochester, NY
What is NEXPLANON?
NEXPLANON is a birth control implant, placed under the skin in the upper inner arm to prevent pregnancy for up to three years. It is a long-acting, reversible form of contraception that can be easily inserted in the office with minimal pain. Westside Pediatrics offers NEXPLANON at their pediatric office in Rochester, NY. Call (585) 247-5400 to request an appointment today.
How it Works
NEXPLANON is a plastic rod about the size of a matchstick. The rod is inserted into your upper arm near the bicep in a comfortable office visit.
Like other forms of birth control, NEXPLANON prevents ovulation:
- By releasing a form of the hormone progesterone called etonogestrel
- By preventing the release of an egg from the ovary
- By changing the cervical mucus and uterine lining
- By making it harder for a sperm to reach the uterus
- By making it more difficult for a fertilized egg to implant in the uterine wall
Though they are plastic, NEXPLANON rods contain a small amount of barium sulfate which enables them to be seen by x-ray.
Why is it Different?
NEXPLANON is different because it does not need to be taken orally daily like some birth control methods, and it does not need to be implanted vaginally. Because of these two factors, it is a popular choice to prevent pregnancy among teens. It is part of Long Acting Reversible Contraceptives (LARCs) that is often recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics as the most effective way to prevent contraception.
Benefits of NEXPLANON
There are several benefits of NEXPLANON, including:
- It is effective immediately upon insertion
- It can help reduce painful and long periods
- You don’t have to remember to take it
- Fertility returns right after it’s removed
What to Expect
As you talk to your doctor, you can be open and honest about your sexual history. Often, your provider will have visited with you most often and may be able to help implant the device. It is a simple procedure that takes minutes to complete.
The NEXPLANON process is as follows:
- Your provider will numb the area using local anesthetic
- The implant is inserted via a needle into the upper area, just inside and above the elbow
- Following insertion, you will need to tend to the arm area
- Keep the area covered with a pressure bandage for 24 hours
- Suggest wearing a small bandage for 3-5 days
- Keep it clean and dry
- You will be able to feel the implant under your skin
- If you have any unusual side effects or feel any bending of the implant, talk to your doctor right away
You may experience side effects like irregular periods, tenderness near the implantation site, mood changes, nausea, or hormonal symptoms common with most birth control methods.
Talk to Your Provider
If you are interested in NEXPLANON for you or your daughter, we recommend talking to your provider.
Often, your provider will:
- Take a thorough sexual history
- Assess STI risk
- Discuss pregnancy risk
- Provide appropriate screening
- Offer counseling
- Provide contraceptives, if needed
NEXPLANON is a great option for many in need of effective contraceptives. There have been many recent advancements over the last decade, and NEXPLANON has helped thousands of women prevent unwanted pregnancy in a safe way.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Schedule an appointment with a board-certified pediatrician at Westside Pediatrics to learn more about NEXPLANON.